Interviewing Techniques - 2 Minute Lesson
Stay out of Disputes
Some Common Tips1. Break the ice. Don't begin hammering the interviewee with questions. Everyone needs time to becom familiar with each other. Start with something generic to build common ground with the interviewee.
2. Communicate the Objectgive. Tell the employee the objective of the audit and the purpose of the interview. Let them know what the expectations are and ask him if he has any questions.
3. Get any background information. Letting the interviewee a chance to tell you about himself goes a long way to reducing concerns. Ask:
- Job title
- Scope of responsibility
5. Summarize and paraphrase what you hear. This will:
- let the interviewee know that you have respect
- confirms you have "gotten it”
- provides a chance to change the story
- Explain what happens next
- Leave the door open for follow-up
- Ask if the interviewee has any questions
- Leave your business card
- Say “Thank you”